Sunday, December 20, 2009

Knott End, Sanderling City

The cold and strong wind kept everyone indoors today at Knott End but I went up to the jetty to see what occurred. About 90 Sanderling roosted under the sea wall making forays to feed upon the debris left by the cockle pickers a few weeks ago.

A small number of Turnstone joined in, with Black-headed Gulls taking advantage of the quiet.


Roosting Sanderling


Sanderling


Sanderling


Sanderling


Turnstone


Turnstone


Black-headed Gull


It's better when my photos turn out ok.



4 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

I know good photography when I see it and this is an excellent 'gallery' Phil.

The Sanderling is one of my most favourite waders along with the Turnstone.

Stuart Price said...

It's been a long time since I was at Knott End, 1987 perhaps? I got a Snow Goose at Pilling that day.........

Some nice wader shots!

Phil Slade said...

Hi Chaps and thanks for the comments. Knott End hasn't changed much since 1987 and we still get Snow Geese at Pilling, occasionally. I got lots of Sanderling pictures even though the light kept changing as you may see, so I will post more later. Regards, Phil

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

Those Sanderling shots are stunning!
Finally my vacation has started so I can go for a bird trip once again. Hope I can get some nice shots like that:))

Related Posts with Thumbnails