Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Slip Sliding Away

To quote Simon and Garfunkel “Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away”

And positively dangerous, that is the state of all minor roads and most footpaths around here, a little foolhardy to attempt any birding destinations. More to the point, the effect that this prolonged severe weather may have on bird populations is very worrying.

So I slipped up the hill to Top Shop then slid back down in the course of buying supplies for us and a bag of apples for the garden birds.

At the local park the full of bread Mallards have hung on but I wouldn’t be surprised if they too visit my garden soon for a bit of food variation.


Mallard


My news today is simply garden pictures, the star of which is the single Fieldfare that found the Bramley baking apples and the damsons that I rescued from the freezer. Well we’ll just have to make our fruit crumble another day.

Blue Tit


Pied Wagtail


Chaffinch


Starling


Robin


Fieldfare


But if the northerly breeze relents a bit overnight we might get a bit of ringing in tomorrow.


4 comments:

Sharon said...

Great photos - I can't imagine having a Fieldfare in the garden!

Phil Slade said...

Hi Sharon. Try the old apples, works a treat.
Thanks for looking in my blog. Phil

Pete Woodruff said...

Excellent pic's again Phil, as you already know I really do appreciate good photography.

As you rightly say the long term results of our severely snow/icebound country to the birds could well end in disaster.

The Hairy Birder said...

That Fieldfare is truly spectacular Phil. I like the way the sun is illuminating the yellow bill and casting light on to the throat patch. Nice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails