Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Blog Is Back

The blog is back after 4 days with nothing to post. While most of the country has enjoyed 30 degree temperatures here in the North West corner we endured 4 days of 100% cloud as the rain and drizzle refused to go away. It was similar today, but I braved the grey into the hint of midday sunshine. 

I drove up to Cockerham, and resisting the temptation to twitch the Conder Green Spoonbill, I went instead to check on the Sparrowhawks ringed on 9th July; by now there should be young on the edge of the nest just raring to go. I’ve seen lots of Spoobills, mainly in Spain but a few in the UK, and as many people would perhaps agree they can be the most immobile, unexciting birds one is ever likely to see. Here’s a superb shot of a Spoonbill actually moving, what a wonderful photograph from Andreas Trepte.  

Eurasian Spoonbill by Andreas Trepte -  http://www.photo-natur.de/.

Back to the matter in hand, and without climbing up the tree, which could have made any occupants “explode” from the nest, from several yards away I saw just one large Sparrowhawk youngster waiting for the next meal. On 9th July there were three young of much the same size and development, so unless two were now hunkered down in the nest, only one had survived. I made my way quietly out of the wood and left the family in peace and quiet. 

Sparrowhawk chick

The fields at Braides proved much quieter than my previous visit but I noted a recent trim had removed much of the cover and seed bearing rough grasses: Just 8 Linnet, 5 Goldfinch, 6 Meadow Pipit, 2 Skylark and 2 Reed Bunting today. Along and from the sea wall, 2 Pied Wagtail, 2 Grey Heron, 48 Curlew, 1 Kestrel, 1 Wheatear, with hirundines and swifts numbering 15 Swallow, 8 House Martin and 4 Swift. 

Barn Swallow

Hopefully no rain tomorrow, a ringing session, followed by more news on Another Bird Blog.

16 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

That sparrowhawk chick is so cool! Thanks for sharing all your fascinating birds. We never see any like this around here.

S K Ditta said...

Hello Phil, am visiting a few posts late. However made up for it quickly by looking through your last 2 posts and this one. Immediately noticed some changes - good changes in my opinion. What hasn't changed is the standard of quality. You continue to offer very informative posts and the pictures are always good. The Barn Swallow almost has a poetic appearance to it. Thanks for sharing Phil. Do say hello to your friend Will when you get a chance. Oh, and very nice picture on the header!

El rincón de Ceditas said...

Hola Phil,, como siempre unas fotografía magnificas,, la primera con ese reflejo es excelente..
Saludos

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh that Spoonbill Phil, what a beautiful photograph of a brilliant looking bird. I adore the young hawk image of course and let us hope that the other 2 were just hunkered down. I love that Barn Swallow! Have a wonderful evening and I guess your country is all set up for the big Summer Olympics events... I enjoy the winter games best myself~

Roan said...

How lucky you are to have found the sparrowhawk chick. I do hope the others have survived. Interesting, informative, and beautifully photographed.

Rohrerbot said...

The spoonbill is beautiful. Sorry about the rain still carrying on as it is. I don't get to see these kinds of birds around....but the Barn Swallow. Nice close shot! I have been fascinated by them this year....all of them....Cliff, Tree, and Barn. Interesting birds....fast too:)

Stewart M said...

That made me laugh! The only spoonbill I have seen in the UK sat with its spoonbill under its wing the entire time I watched it - I may have been dead!

Yes, Cassowaries are under threat - all the usual suspects. But habitat fragmentation, wild dog attacks on the young birds and road accidents are the main problems. And I think your chances of seeing one in the UK are similar to mine chances of seeing a woodpecker here!

Stewart M - Australia

TexWisGirl said...

that youngster is really cute. :)

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for sharing these handsome birds Phil. Really enjoyed them.

Snap said...

Love the sparrowhawk and the spoonbill is exquisite. Well done!

joanne said...

Your passion for birding is admirable....and it's so cool to see and learn about your activities, photos, and information....great stuff...

Jessica said...

my first time to look at barn swallow so close :-) thank you for sharing
:-) Dropping by from Camera Critters.

http://www.kidsnpet.com/2012/07/a-lizard-at-the-hotels-wall/

Misty DawnS said...

Fantastic photos! Love that sparrowhawk chick!

EJ said...

Gorgeous birds. Visiting from Camera critters.

Our CRITTERS, your comment will be greatly appreciated. Have a great Saturday!

Kathy said...

I'm intrigued by your header photo!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Love that last shot. Hopping by from camera critters.

Some Cardinal shots, come and see.

Related Posts with Thumbnails