Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Birding On Borrowed Time

A dry morning was all the forecast gave before the rains would arrive at midday. They were right. Here I am at 1pm writing up my few hours of birding. 

I gave Fluke Hall and Ridge Farm a look first. Chaffinches were on the move steadily but not overwhelmingly so, arriving from the west and south west, small parties or up to 25 birds either dropping into the immediate trees or beyond and out of sight. In my notebook I have 4.10.12.6.25.1.5.6.10.5.6.28 = 118 in about one hour and fifteen minutes. I am pretty sure the Chaffinches had Bramblings with them as I could hear Brambling calls in the trees when I later walked through the wood. 

Chaffinch

Other species on the move from the west: 13 Tree Sparrow, 4 Greenfinch, 2 Meadow Pipit, 3 Alba Wagtail, 2 Song Thrush, 1 Grey Wagtail and 15+ Skylarks. 

Just 4 Whooper Swans on the wheat and maize stubble fields today, the Pink-footed Geese rather late arriving from the marsh in the roadside field where the constant traffic means they are constantly on alert. I took the picture below as a lady with two dogs walked along the road shouting into her mobile phone; seconds later the geese were gone. 

Pink-footed Geese

I decided to check out Knott End where the tide would be running in. Good numbers of waders here with 1900 Oystercatcher, 350 Knot, 140 Redshank, 1 Grey Plover, 22 Black-tailed Godwit and 12 Turnstone. 

Turnstone 

Turnstone

Black-tailed Godwit

A walk along the river gave me 1 Rock Pipit, 1 Pied Wagtail, 3 Grey Wagtail, 15 Goldfinch and 1 Wheatear. The Wheatear was in someone’s front garden. Now there’s a good one to have on a garden list. 

Wheatear

Beyond the golf course and to the south I could see the rain clouds building, but made it back to the car before the heavens opened.

8 comments:

theconstantwalker said...

It's been raining all day here (Cheshire)so you did well to out and about.

Unknown said...

Rain stopped by lunch-time here, P. Nothing in the garden after that but a few Skylarks making their way south overhead.

Kay L. Davies said...

As always, I love the little birds, especially the wheatear, but now I am extremely annoyed with the loud woman who scared the geese away.
Seems you saw quite a few birds for your short stint of birding before noon.
K

Russell Jenkins said...

Love the colours and at postures of the geese. Another nice collection of birds and sterling report for half a day.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Phil I have looked at the posts I have missed over the past week since my friend Eileen came and enjoyed them very much. Loved the Shots of Whooper and Pink footed geese, great shot of the Pintail and lovely to have the Wheatear in ones garden. Great to hear about all the birds you are seeing on migration.

eileeninmd said...

These phones can be so annoying, I am amazed at how much people have to talk. Love the geese and Wheatear shots! Happy Birding!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Turnstones such beautiful birds! We continue on our travels, but wanted to stop by~
Haha, and I saw the post below...and I so know the hats, scarf and gloves right about now!

Stewart M said...

Shouting into a phone should be a capital offence!

Nice pictures none the less!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Related Posts with Thumbnails